Thursday, December 13, 2012

Current Projects

My specialty in editing has always been novels, and one of my favorite things to work on is series. I love following a series through from beginning to end, it's great to help fine tune all the aspects of a series and watch the characters evolve.

Lately I have been taking on projects that are not novels, and I have to say that even though novels are by far my favorite, I am really enjoying working on other projects. When I was just a reader I was no a huge fan of novellas, but once I entered into the publishing world I started to really appreciate the impact novellas can have, especially series. Novellas are tricky though, if you cram too much info in them they stop being fun for the reader and more tedious than anything else. And if the plot isn't fully thought out then it definitely isn't fun for the reader. I have really enjoyed reading novellas lately, they are great intros to series I have thought about trying out. If I like the novellas, chances are I am going to like the series. So as an editor, I am really enjoying working to make novellas meet their potential. Especially when the author I am working with getting ready to launch a series. It's so fun for me to be at the beginning of someone's journey.

In other news, I am going to be on vacation from the 26th to the 30th, and with any luck I may get some writing of my own done. I may have internet access while I am on vacation, so I may still be editing, but I am not 100% sure about the accommodations of where I am stay. I hope everyone is enjoying holiday prep!

0 comments:

Post a Comment