Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Samhain!

So since I really started focusing on being in the publishing world I have found a couple of small presses that I really enjoyed and dreamed of working with. I was so lucky to have found Crescent Moon Press and to have the opportunity to work for them as an editor. It has been a really amazing learning experience, and something I hope I am only getting better at.

For the first time since I started editing as a real job I feel really comfortable, and that I could really take on more work from other presses. I was hired by eXtasy books to work for them as a freelance editor. It's definitely a new experience since I personally have never written or read a lot of books that are heavy on the "romantic" elements. I believe it's actually one of my week points in my own writing. So by taking on projects with them I am hoping to broaden my horizons as well as learn to be a better editor and writer.

When I started putting out inquiries for jobs freelancing, there was on publishing house I really wanted to work with. I have heard really amazing things about Samhain and so when I put out an inquiry I was really expecting a "thanks for the interest but we aren't looking for anyone right now". I was so wrong. The editing test process is more extensive that any other publishing house I have submitted one for, and I was so nervous when I was putting together my application package. I want to get it right. The job would be amazing. There is a lot more freedom with them than with some of the other publishing houses, which is something I am looking forward to.

I truly believe that I am a novice at the publishing industry. I do a couple of things really well. But I have a lot to learn. I used to be one of those people who thought I knew everything and no one could teach me anything. But from the minute I decided I wanted the written word to be my entire life I have known this is going to be a journey filled with a lot of learning and a lot of missteps. I think so far I have done a great job at not making too many mistakes (or at least small ones), and the ones I have made I have learned from. The people in this business are so amazing and welcoming, and I love learning from each and every one of them that comes by way.

I really hope I get the gig at Samhain and that I can learn even more about this business and how to be successful. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

My daughter took the test from Samhain and didn't make it. But if what you say is true, maybe I should have her check out other presses. I think she got a little discouraged from the test.

Kathryn said...

I think for me working with smaller presses was best for me, because learning how editing works was kind of a process. Each publishing house has a little bit of a variance on how they like things done, but it wasn't until I was given a chance with one of the newer houses did I fully understand what went into everything. It helped that the people there were really kind and had a willingness to teach.

For me the Samhain test didn't feel much like I test because it's something I do everyday for other publishing houses, and the more you do it the easier it gets. I would very much so recommend looking at other presses, especially if she has no experience with editing. Finding the right publishing house to get your foot in the door as well as someone to teach you is the best thing. Then once you have more experience under your belt it gets easier to have other publishing houses take a chance on you as well.

Post a Comment